We are supported by our readers. We may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you if you buy through a link on this page. Learn more.
Neck pain can be caused by many things, and sitting in an office chair all day long is one of them. If you experience fatigue and pain, it’s likely that your current office chair doesn’t provide you with proper back and neck support. And since you’re reading this right now, you probably already figured it out.
However, just a headrest isn’t enough to ensure your shoulders and neck are fully protected. If your chair doesn’t help you maintain correct posture throughout the workday, it means your spine is in the wrong position, and, as a result, your neck as well.
So how do you find exactly what you need?
Of course, the first thing you do is google. But the number of chair models online can be very overwhelming. And what seems like a few-minute task can easily turn into a day’s long browsing quest…if not longer. So to save you time and prevent frustration, we’ve reviewed dozens of chairs and selected the nine best office chairs for neck pain.
The Best Office Chairs for Neck Pain
- Gabrylly Ergonomic Mesh Office Chair – Top Pick
- Steelcase Gesture Office Desk Chair – Premium Pick
- NOUHAUS Ergo3D Ergonomic Office Chair – Best Modern Pick
- Dual-Backrest Home Office Desk Chairs – Most Unique Pick
- KERDOM Breathable Mesh Desk Chair – Best High-Back Office Chair for Neck Pain
- SIHOO Ergonomic Office Chair – Best with Two-Way Adjustable Lumbar Support
- Oak Hollow Furniture Aloria Series Office Chair – Best Leather Office Chair for Neck Pain
- NOUHAUS ErgoFlip Mesh Computer Chair – Best Value
- ERGOUP Home Office Chair – Best Office Chair With Footrest for Neck Pain
From budget to premium options, there’s a chair for everyone. Scroll down to discover our top picks!
This Gabrylly office chair has made it on a few of our lists for different types of office chairs, and there are many reasons why it made it to this one too.
This super adjustable office chair will provide you with adequate lumbar support, and most importantly, superior support for your neck.
There are three ways you can adjust the headrest: vertical adjustment, bracket adjustment, and tilt adjustment. Plus, the flip-up armrests can help you easily store the chair under the desk and create more space if needed. So whether you plan to use this chair at your home office or conference room, you can always be sure your spine and neck are in high-quality, ergonomic hands.
While this office chair offers excellent usability features and an affordable price tag, you might notice that you can lock it into position but only on certain parts of tilt, which might be a bit inconvenient if you use the tilt function often.
- Holds up to 280 pounds
- 4 supporting points
- Suitable for people of about 5’5″ to 6’2″
- Fold-up armrests
- Adjustable height and tilt
- Dimensions: 22 x 25.2 x 45.3 inches
- Weight: 41 pounds
- Manufacturer: Gabrylly
- Breathable mesh back and mesh seat
- Stable chair base
- Easy installation
- You can lock the chair into position but only on certain parts of tilt
If budget isn’t an issue for you and you simply want to get an ultra-comfy office chair that would protect your body, especially your neck, during long hours of office work, the Steelcase model with headrest should be one of your top picks.
This delicate yet super sturdy office chair will provide you with an upgraded sitting experience. Designed with a back and seat that move with you as a synchronized system, it offers the continuous and persistent support you’ve been looking for.
Its seat also has a flexible perimeter, allowing you to sit in a range of positions and have your arms and shoulders supported all the time. Plus, this chair can hold up to 400 pounds and accommodate almost any body type and preference.
While this chair is one of the best on the market, the only disadvantage is its price, which definitely puts this model under the label “premium office chair.”
- Supports up to 400 pounds
- Synchronized ergonomic system
- Arms move like a human arm
- Flexible seat perimeter
- Dimensions: 23 x 23 x 40 inches
- Weight: 78 pounds
- Manufacturer: Steelcase
- High-quality textile upholstery
- Award-winning design
- SGS class gas lift
If you care not only about your neck but also style and design, the NOUHAUS Ergo3D modern office chair will beat your expectations.
Considering its moderate price tag, this ergonomic office chair offers many features and usabilities. For example, 4D adjustable armrests, exceptional lumbar support system, 135-degree back tilt, smooth HydraLift, adjustable headrest, and gentle dual castors.
On top of that, the Ergo3D model is upholstered in breathable ElastoMesh, preventing you from sweating and feeling uncomfortable. So whether you’re pulling an all-nighter or beating the last level of your favorite video game, this office chair will conform to both your body without jeopardizing your neck and back.
The only thing you might find a bit annoying is that there’s no padding between the edges of the frame and the mesh.
- Supports up to 275 pounds
- 4D adjustable armrests
- Dynamic 3D lumbar support
- Up to 135° super-lounge tilt
- Adjustable headrest
- Dimensions: 26.4 x 26.4 x 53.7 inches
- Weight: 46.3 pounds
- Manufacturer: NOUHAUS
- Available in 4 fashion colors
- Breathable mesh material
- Comes with 2 sets of wheels
- No padding between the edges of the frame and the mesh
If you’re a fan of unique, unusual and extravagant, the Duorest Gold has something in store for you.
This dual backrest ergonomic office chair, aka the game changer of posture chair, allows the spinal column to maintain its natural shape and keep the backbone free from pressure even when reclined.
This will help you forget about the back and neck pain and focus on what you’re doing while sitting at your computer desk. Apart from adjustable backrest depth and armrests, you can reduce fatigue after long hours of sitting by adjusting the height of the headrest according to your preferences.
Featuring a curved seat and dynamic lumbar support, the Duorest chair will help you keep good posture and enjoy your work environment.
The one disadvantage you can notice is that the armrests might be a bit noisy and rattle with motion.
- Supports up to 250 pounds
- Dual-Backrest system
- High-adjustable armrests and headrest
- Curved seatpan
- Adjustable backrest depth
- Dimensions: 24.8 x 24.8 x 45.5 inches
- Weight: 42 pounds
- Manufacturer: Duorest
- Tilt tension and lock
- High-quality synthetic leather upholstery
- Up to 3 years of warranty
- Armrests might be a bit noisy and rattle with motion
If you prefer office chairs with segmented backrests for better neck and back protection, the KERDOM ergonomic office chair could be a perfect match for you.
This breathable computer desk chair provides four support points, including head, back, buttocks, hands, and proper lumbar support to ensure you can adjust your chair to your specific requirements. And while a height and rotate adjustable headrest will be protecting your neck, an abrasion-resistant seat cushion will be providing you with a comfortable experience.
As a result, this office chair is perfect for long-term office use and helps prevent fatigue. Plus, fully adjustable armrests will let you roll the chair close to the desk and create more space in your home office.
Just keep in mind that this chair isn’t a heavy-duty model, so if you’re looking for a big and tall office chair, you might want to consider other options.
- Supports up to 275 pounds
- 135-degree adjustable back angle
- 4 support points
- 3D freely adjustable armrests
- Segmented mesh back design
- Dimensions: 21 x 11 x 20 inches
- Weight: 39.9 pounds
- Manufacturer: KERDOM
- 15-30 min assembly
- Breathable design
- Curved hollowed seat
- Doesn’t work as a heavy-duty chair
If you’re looking for a classic black mesh back office chair with a comfy headrest for your neck, the SIHOO ergonomic office chair competes on par with even more expensive models.
Featuring adjustable back support, headrest adjustment, stepless seat height, tilt adjustment, and height-adjustable armrests, this office chair can be fitted to almost anybody and provide you with a highly customizable sitting experience. Plus, the W-shaped waterfall seat design ensures you sit centrally, and the adjustable headrest supports your cervical spine and helps prevent neck pain.
And did we mention this chair can support up to 330 pounds? So if you need a big and tall chair, this might be an excellent option for you.
Just keep in mind that the headrest might be too low if you’re 6’4” and taller.
- Supports up to 330 pounds
- S-shaped 90°-125° tilt backrest
- W-shaped padded seat
- Two-way adjustable lumbar pillow and headrest
- Load-bearing adjustable armrests
- Dimensions: 27.52 x 27.52 x 42.09 inches
- Weight: 35.2 pounds
- Manufacturer: SIHOO
- Breathable mesh back
- Modern design
- Limited 3-year warranty
- The headrest might be too low for people 6’4” and taller
If you’re looking for a mix between a modern and an executive office chair, the Oak Hollow Furniture Aloria Leather Series model might be your winner.
Loaded with various adjustable features, ergonomic support, and ultimate comfort, this office chair is perfect for long hours of use in a workplace or home-office setting. This high-back chair model comes with a removable mesh headrest, letting you create the most convenient setup for your spine and neck.
In addition, the seat depth adjustment allows you to move the seat forward and back to accommodate your leg length. This office chair is a nice combo of mesh back and a genuine leather seat. So if you’re a fan of both, it’s an excellent choice for you.
Just beware that the assembly might be quite challenging if you have never assembled chairs before. So you might want to ask your friend to help you out.
- Supports up to 300 pounds
- 4-Way adjustable armrests
- Synchro-tilt and multi-position lock
- Removable headrest
- Adjustable lumbar support
- Dimensions: 24 x 28 x 54 inches
- Weight: 50 pounds
- Manufacturer: Oak Hollow Furniture
- Breathable mesh back and genuine leather seat
- 2 different pneumatic seat height options
- 5-year limited warranty
- Challenging assembly
If you liked the third option on our list, here’s another NOUHAUS in the house you might want to check out.
The NOUHAUS ErgoFlip office chair model is an excellent choice if some days you prefer comfy cushioned armrests and other days you just want to get close to your desk. Like its Ergo3D “sibling,” the EgoFlip is made with breathable ElastoMesh and comes in four pleasant colors: burgundy, black, blue, and gray.
Apart from all these cool features, the chair also features a full-length backrest and headrest to provide optimal support for your neck and back. So if you want a chair that hugs your spine, aligns your posture, and prevents pain, the ErgoFlip has a lot to offer.
However, please note that if you are 6 feet tall or taller, the backrest might be too short for you.
- Supports up to 275 pounds
- Flip-up armrests
- 2D-Adjust headrest
- 135° tilt
- 3D lumbar support
- Dimensions: 25.6 x 25 x 44.1 inches
- Weight: 41.88 pounds
- Manufacturer: NOUHAUS
- Breathable ElastoMesh Fabric
- Extra roller casters
- 5-year warranty and 30-day money-back guarantee
- If you are 6 feet tall or taller, the backrest might be too short
If you’re looking for an office chair with high-quality neck support and a footrest as a bonus, the ERGOUP home office chair is the only one on this list to fit that requirement.
Apart from the retractable footrest, this relatively new chair model has some distinctive features you cannot overlook. One of them is flexible lumbar support which you can move back and forth, up and down.
And another one is the headrest which you can adjust according to your height and preferences by moving it up and down and tilting it. In addition, the 3D adjustable armrests and pleasant-to-touch, breathable mesh upholstery will make it a perfect addition to your home office. So if you want to significantly improve your sitting experience and alleviate neck and back pain after a long day at work.
The only drawback is that the backrest might not stay in the desired position when reclined.
- Supports up to 550 pounds
- 135-degree tilt with 4 lockable positions
- 3D armrests and 2D headrest
- Flexible lumbar support
- Retractable footrest
- Dimensions: 20 x 20 x 52.8 inches
- Weight: 46 pounds
- Manufacturer: ERGOUP
- Breathable mesh upholstery
- PU silent wheels
- 30-day replacement guarantee
- The back assembly might not stay in the desired position when reclined
Things to Consider When Buying an Office Chair for Neck Pain
When it’s time to choose which office chair for neck pain you’re going to order, there are a few things you need to compare and evaluate first.
Does it have adequate lumbar support?
As we’ve already mentioned, if your back is hunched, tilted to the side, or simply super uncomfortable for eight hours per day, your neck can’t be feeling any better. That’s why it’s crucial to choose an ergonomic office chair that has high-quality lumbar support. And if you want to have the ability to customize your chair even more, go for one that features adjustable lumbar support.
What type of headrest does it have?
While we noted that headrest isn’t a deal-breaker, it’s still good to have an option to use it and give your neck even more support. Some office chairs come with either adjustable/removable or built-in headrests. Which one you should choose depends on your preferences and height. We recommend opting for an adjustable headrest to ensure it’s not too low for your neck if you’re on the taller side. In addition, some chairs offer headrests that you can move up and down, back and forward, and change the tilt angle.
Is the seat cushion comfortable?
Yes, the comfort of your neck depends on your body’s overall experience when sitting. An ergonomically designed seat cushion that encourages you to sit straight and takes away pressure from your legs will definitely contribute to you feeling less tired at the end of your workday. Thick-padded waterfall or W-shaped seat cushions are some of the best options on the market.
Is the seat depth adjustable?
Suppose you really want to ensure the most comfortable seating position. In that case, a seat depth can give these extra adjustability options to ensure the lumbar support is actually “hugging” your spine in the right way. This feature is especially useful if you’re shorter.
Does it have adjustable armrests?
You might not think that armrests are an important feature of an office chair for neck pain. However, keeping arms in a proper position can help maintain good posture, prevent shoulder pain, and contribute to better rest in between work sprints. So even if you don’t use armrests often, it’s still a good thing to have them in case you ever change your mind and decide to test them out and see how it improves your experience.
Benefits of an Office Chair for Neck Pain
If you’re still doubting whether it’s worth investing in an office chair for neck pain, here are a few more benefits that might convince you:
- It can help you create a more ergonomic office setup
- It can lower pressure on your back and legs
- It can improve your sitting experience
- It can relieve neck pain
- It can promote good posture
- You can use it for both working and playing video games
- You can choose from a variety of models and upholstery types
- You can fully adjust it according to your body type and specific requirements
Should I Buy an Office Chair for Neck Pain?
If you’re a remote worker or spend five days per week sitting in an office chair, sooner or later, you’ll start experiencing pain in your back or neck. And if you already notice that you’re feeling fatigued after a day at work, it’s worth buying a high-quality chair to help you prevent these unpleasant scenarios.
And while you might be buying an office chair for neck pain, it will still be protecting your whole body, including your spine, legs, and shoulders. We know that a high-quality ergonomic chair for neck pain isn’t super cheap, but if you use it almost every single day, it’s absolutely worth it.
We hope you managed to find what you were looking for. And if you have any questions or have an idea of what we should review next, please let us know.
How We Review: Our Office Chair Ratings Methodology
At Overheard on Conference Calls, we take pride in how we review office chairs. Our team of office chair experts spend hours researching and reviewing dozens of products before they even start writing their review or article. Our goal is to bring you honest and unbiased information to help you make an informed choice that will be the best for you. Our recommendations are not for sale and they are not influenced by any of the manufacturers we review.
When reviewing an office chair, there are numerous factors we analyze to determine our recommendations. Here are our four most important:
- Comfort: Comfort is key to a good office chair. It’s likely you’ll be sitting in it for hours so you’ll want something that won’t cause you aches and pains after hours of use. We gauge comfort by testing for 4+ hours as well as looking at the thickness of the seat cushion and its material.
- Durability: Not all office chairs are built the same. Our durability factor looks at the quality of the materials and how sturdy the chair is after assembly. Because we have a limited tested period, we also conduct customer research of longtime users.
- Lumbar Support: While this is an ergonomic feature, we made this its own separate rating factor because of how important it is to your overall posture, health, and comfort. We analyze each chair for its lumbar support or lack thereof.
- Ergonomic Features: In addition to lumbar support, we also look at other ergonomic features such as the armrests, height adjustment, reclining, seat ergonomics, and more. The better it is for your ergonomics and the more features/adjustability, the better.
Why isn’t price included on that list? Fair question! We do consider price in the order of our recommendations but because everyone has their own budget in mind, we won’t rule a chair in or out just because it has premium or budget price.
Our team has researched and reviewed hundreds of chairs and we’re confident in our recommendations. We strive to only recommend the best products and we periodically refresh our reviews and rankings.