It’s probably not a secret for you how crucial it is to have an ergonomic office chair to get through a whole workday. But what about a school day? Whether your kid is sitting at the desk doing homework or attending an online class, it’s no less important they also do it sitting in a comfortable chair.
However, when choosing an ergonomically designed office chair for a kid, it’s very easy to get distracted by colorful patterns and forget about functionality and comfort. For a growing child, it’s crucial to use an office chair that promotes good posture.
To help you make the right decision, we have hand-picked the nine best desk chairs for kids. Scroll down to review our selections!
The Best Desk Chairs for Kids
- SitRite Ergonomic Kids Desk Chair – Top Pick
- Amazon Basics Low-Back Children’s Desk Chair – Best Value
- SIDIZ Ringo Kid Desk Chair
- GreenForest Kids Office Task Desk Chair
- Hbada Office Task Desk Chair
- Urban Shop Swivel Mesh Desk Chair
- MOLENTS Small Desk Chair with Mesh Lumbar Support
- BOSSIN Task Chair Armless Office Chair
- Techni Mobili Kid’s Gaming and Student Racer Chair – Premium Pick
While we said that the shape and colors aren’t as important as ergonomics, the SitRite desk chair for kids has it all, and even more.
With an ergonomically cushioned back support and a thick-padded slidable seat, this office chair for kids beats its competitors straight away. And to make it even more comfortable for your child to use the SitRite chair, it also offers a detachable footrest and rounded armrests.
And its unibody design is made from high-quality materials for durability and stability. Plus, your kid will be able to choose from eight different colors to satisfy their preferences.
This chair’s only drawback is that its back cannot be adjusted, unlike the seat height and depth.
- Ergonomic cushioned back support
- Seat depth adjustable to 1.7 inches
- Height adjustable from 17.25 to 19.75 inches
- Detachable footrest
- Rounded armrest
- Dimensions: 23.5 x 23.5 x 35 inches
- Weight: 29.6 pounds
- Manufacturer: Worldshoppe
- Lots of color options
- Attachable wheel covers
- Simple assembly
- The back height isn’t adjustable
If you’re looking for a good desk chair for kids that can be comfortable and ergonomic without costing you a fortune, the Amazon Basics low-back office chair is your winner.
Simple yet functional, this mesh-back chair with a 2-inch thick padded seat for added comfort will significantly upgrade your child’s sitting experience. Thanks to simple pneumatic controls, your kid will be able to raise or lower their seat and promote a proper seated position while doing homework.
Plus, the gently curved back of the chair provides mesh-only sections for enhanced breathability and comfort. And your child can pick one of the four different colors.
While this chair is an excellent value for money, note that it doesn’t recline and has no armrests.
- Supports up to 275 pounds
- Contoured breathable mesh back
- Pneumatic seat-height adjustment
- 2-inch-thick padded seat
- 360 Mobility
- Dimensions: 20.47 x 20.08 x 32.87-37.4 inches
- Weight: 16.75 pounds
- Manufacturer: Amazon Basics
- Smooth-rolling casters
- BIFMA Certified
- Easy to assemble
- Doesn’t recline and has no armrests
With a similar futuristic design as the SitRite chair, the SIDIZ Ringo desk chair for kids offers incredible ergonomic support and helps your kid maintain good posture.
This modern office kids chair has been awarded two world-class design awards, such as RedDot and iF, and we can see why. It’s carefully designed for a growing child aged 6 to 13 (3.5 ft to 5.3 ft tall) and has a four-step adjustable backrest.
Plus, the chair has a footrest for a better sitting position. In addition, Ringo comes in three funky colors and will fit into your child’s room perfectly. And since this isn’t the cheapest chair, the manufacturer offers a 30-day trial and 3-year warranty so that your child can test it and see how it works.
While this chair is perfect, keep in mind that your kid can spin freely in it, which might distract them from their homework or online class.
- 4-step growing function
- For children from 3.5 ft to 5.3 ft tall
- Height and depth adjustments
- Sit-Brake Casters
- Dimensions: 19.5 x 23 x 33 inches
- Weight: 33 pounds
- Manufacturer: SIDIZ
- 30-day trial and 3-year warranty
- Award-winning design
- Easy to assemble
- Allows for spinning freely
GreenForest offers another bright desk chair option for your kid’s room that can bring a good mood and boost their productivity.
Featuring a fishbone design back and soft seat, the GreenForest kids desk chair will ensure your child keeps the right posture and feels comfortable while studying. This study desk chair has adjustable height and can fit kids of all ages and even a petit adult.
Plus, it’s easy to assemble, and the manufacturer offers a lifetime warranty. Your child will be in love with this chair’s cute color, and you will be happy with its ergonomic design and support.
Just beware that the chair’s wheels might be a bit noisy and too hard for hardwood floors.
- Thick, soft seat base
- One-touch pneumatic height adjustment
- Comfortable mesh material
- Breathable PP back
- Supports up to 200 pounds
- Dimensions: 15.74 x 33.46 x 17.71 inches
- Weight: 10.25 pounds
- Manufacturer: GreenForest
- Lifetime warranty
- Modern design
- Easy assembly
- The wheels are a bit noisy and maybe too hard for hardwood floors.
Hbada office chair has made it to a few of our office chair guides, and as it turned out, it also works well as a desk chair for kids.
Featuring a sleek design and simple adjustable mid-back desk, the Hbada office chair will naturally fit the curve of your kid’s lower back and ensure their spine is protected. Plus, if you’re worried about the space, the chair has flip-up arms and can slide easily under the desk, making your child’s room look more organized.
And if your kid is hyperactive even when sitting in a chair, a breathable mesh back will help them stay cool. This chair doesn’t offer colorful options, but you can be sure of its stability, durability, and functionality.
The only drawback you might notice is that the nut holding the armrest in place can get loose if your kid ends up moving it up and down often.
- Holds up to 250 pounds
- Space-saving flip-up arms
- Adjustable height
- Tilting and rocking features
- CGS certified level 3 cylinder
- Dimensions: 25.4 x 24.3 x 13.1 inches
- Weight: 29.7 pounds
- Manufacturer: Hbada
- Mute nylon wheels
- Strong solid base
- Sleek and unique design
- Smooth and silenced rolling casters
- The nut holding the armrest in place can get loose if you move it up and down often
If you’re not quite ready to commit to a more expensive desk chair for your child, the Urban Shop has an excellent option for your budget.
This mesh-back kids’ office chair is well-cushioned to provide all-day support and ensure your child’s posture is protected while studying, doing homework, or doing crafts. Its compact and unique design will let you fit this desk chair in a smaller space while still providing your kid with a comfortable sitting experience.
Plus, thanks to the high-quality padded mesh upholstery, the chair is very easy to clean in case your child spills something or leaves dirty handprints on it. And luckily for your kid, this chair model comes in 21 colors so that they can make their own choice.
The only con you might find is that the seat cannot actually be secured to the wheel assembly properly.
- Curved mesh back
- One-touch seat height adjustment
- Back tilt
- Five carpet casters
- Supports up to 225 pounds
- Dimensions: 22 x 20.86 x 33.46 inches
- Weight: 8 pounds
- Manufacturer: Idea Nuova
- Simple design
- 360-degree swivel base
- Straightforward assembly
- The seat doesn’t actually secure to the wheel assembly
If you’re looking for a kids’ desk chair that offers great suitability and won’t cause fatigue after sitting for a long time, the MOLENTS office chair might be a perfect match for your child’s homework station.
Wrapped in high-quality sponge filling and upholstery with fabric cloth, this chair’s comfortable thick seat features an arched integrally molded backrest to take care of your kid’s spine and correct posture. And if your kid likes to swivel and roll around in their chair, don’t worry; this one comes with dual nylon wheels that prevent marks while making it compatible with carpeted floors.
Plus, a breathable mesh back will prevent your little one from feeling too hot and make it easier for them to stay focused.
The one drawback your kid might notice is that the pneumatic height adjustment is not super smooth.
- Ergonomic armless design
- Supports up to 250 pounds
- Strong one-piece lumbar support
- 5-star integrally molded base
- Comfortable thick-padded seat
- Dimensions: 20.1 x 17.5 x 35.8 inches
- Weight: 15 pounds
- Manufacturer: MOLENTS.
- Flexible and space-saving
- Durable and flexible casters
- 10-minute assembly
- The pneumatic height adjustment is not super smooth
The BOSSIN task chair for kids will guarantee your child’s safety and comfort while attending online school or doing their homework.
This computer mesh chair features a curved backrest that perfectly lines up with a child’s body line and supports their spine’s natural curve. A high-density sponge cushion will also assure your kid’s comfort and promote correct posture.
In addition, this sturdy chair offers a highly breathable back to make your kid’s back feel comfortable and prevent body heat. It also comes in four different colors and is budget-friendly.
Just make sure not to lean too hard on this chair as it leans back as well.
- Supports up to 250 pounds
- Professional gas lift
- Padded armrests
- Mesh high-density seat
- Ergonomic curved-back design
- Dimensions: 21.3 x 17.7 x 31.1 inches
- Weight: 15.8 pounds
- Manufacturer: BOSSIN
- Heavy-duty metal base
- Smooth wheels
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- When you lean back, the chair leans back as well
If there’s a little video game player growing up in your house, then the Techni Mobili kid’s gaming desk chair is an excellent choice.
While you probably don’t want your child to spend the whole day in front of the computer, you’d still want them to maintain good posture when they have to do their homework or use their allowed gaming time.
The Techni Mobili gaming chair resembles a sport’s car interior, letting your child’s imagination “race” and be more motivated to learn new things. Plus, your child will find it easy to quickly adjust the seat height to suit their body stature and preferences.
While this chair is a very unique and cost-effective option, the one thing you should keep in mind is that it can’t be affixed to the base.
- Supports up to 130 pounds
- Pneumatic adjustable seat height
- TechniFlex upholstery
- Racer-style design
- Ergonomic lumbar support
- Dimensions: 33.07 x 25.79 x 11.02 inches
- Weight: 42.1 pounds
- Manufacturer: Homall
- Non-marking nylon casters
- 5-star nylon base
- 1-year limited warranty
- The chair isn’t affixed to the base
Things to Consider When Buying a Desk Chair for Kids
When you start your hunt for the best desk chair for kids, there are a few things you need to pay attention to first to ensure your child’s comfort.
Does it feature a footrest?
Kids can get bored much easier than adults, and sitting in one position for hours is definitely not the most exciting thing for them. A footrest can make their sitting experience more versatile and also improve their posture, especially if your kid is tiny and their feet can’t reach the floor yet.
How much weight does it support?
While almost any office chair can support any kid, remember that kids are known for jumping into the chair or inviting their friends to sit together in it, you name it. Here’s when having a chair that can hold enough weight is crucial if you want the chair to serve longer than a few uses.
Does the chair have proper lumbar support?
This is by far one of the most crucial aspects of any task chair for kids. Children’s bodies grow, and it’s essential to have furniture that supports the growth of that young body. In addition, promoting good posture from early years can help prevent problems later in life. So if you want to ensure your kid sits in an ergonomically correct position, always check what kind of lumbar support the chair provides.
Does it have armrests?
While it’s mostly a question of preference, armrests can help your kid relax during online school breaks or in between homework assignments. You can find a few chair models with comfy armrests on our list if it’s a deal-breaker for you.
Can it be adjusted?
Considering that kids are different and keep on growing constantly, it’s great to have a desk chair that can be adjusted according to your kid’s height. This will also save you money on buying a new chair every year.
Does the chair offer colorful designs?
If you know that for your kid, it’s important to have bright colors in the room, then go for a chair model that offers multiple color options and let your kid choose once. It’ll make them more excited about studying and promote productivity.
How thick is the cushion?
When we talk about your kid’s comfort, it’s essential to mention that the chair should have a thick-padded seat cushion to prevent fatigue and make it easier for your kid to sit through an online lesson.
Benefits of a Desk Chair for Kids
Of course, you can let your kid use your office chair when needed, but since children’s bodies are much smaller, here are a few advantages of buying an ergonomic office chair designed specifically for kids:
- It can help them maintain good posture
- It can prevent spine problems
- It can improve their sitting experience
- It can boost their productivity
- They can use it for multiple purposes
- They can feel excited about choosing the chair color
- It can be adjusted according to their body composition
- It can make their study setup more ergonomically-friendly
Should I Buy an Ergonomic Office Chair for My Kid?
Knowing your kid is sitting in a comfortable chair will make you less worried about their posture and overall health. In the age of technology, it’s hard to prevent your child from spending time in front of a computer or, of course, from completing their homework as it usually involves a laptop or a PC too. That’s why getting a proper desk chair for your kid will be one of your best investments.
We hope you managed to find what you were looking for. And if you have any questions or have an idea of what we should review next, please let us know.
How We Review: Our Office Chair Ratings Methodology
At Overheard on Conference Calls, we take pride in how we review office chairs. Our team of office chair experts spend hours researching and reviewing dozens of products before they even start writing their review or article. Our goal is to bring you honest and unbiased information to help you make an informed choice that will be the best for you. Our recommendations are not for sale and they are not influenced by any of the manufacturers we review.
When reviewing an office chair, there are numerous factors we analyze to determine our recommendations. Here are our four most important:
- Comfort: Comfort is key to a good office chair. It’s likely you’ll be sitting in it for hours so you’ll want something that won’t cause you aches and pains after hours of use. We gauge comfort by testing for 4+ hours as well as looking at the thickness of the seat cushion and its material.
- Durability: Not all office chairs are built the same. Our durability factor looks at the quality of the materials and how sturdy the chair is after assembly. Because we have a limited tested period, we also conduct customer research of longtime users.
- Lumbar Support: While this is an ergonomic feature, we made this its own separate rating factor because of how important it is to your overall posture, health, and comfort. We analyze each chair for its lumbar support or lack thereof.
- Ergonomic Features: In addition to lumbar support, we also look at other ergonomic features such as the armrests, height adjustment, reclining, seat ergonomics, and more. The better it is for your ergonomics and the more features/adjustability, the better.
Why isn’t price included on that list? Fair question! We do consider price in the order of our recommendations but because everyone has their own budget in mind, we won’t rule a chair in or out just because it has premium or budget price.
Our team has researched and reviewed hundreds of chairs and we’re confident in our recommendations. We strive to only recommend the best products and we periodically refresh our reviews and rankings.