We are supported by our readers. We may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you if you buy through a link on this page. Learn more.
If you’re avid user of a standing desk or you have recently transitioned to one and now looking for a proper chair to pair it with. A standing desk chair, AKA a standing desk stool, will let you take a break between standing and sitting. So, you can consider it a middle option between those two positions.
Apart from a standing desk chair, you can also use a drafting chair or an active sitting stool together with your standing desk. These types of chairs will help you create an ergonomic workstation and keep your body engaged throughout the day.
So, how do you choose a proper stool for an ergonomic office setup? Check out our in-depth guide to discover what standing desk chair is the best for your needs.
The Best Standing Desk Chairs and Stools
- Vari Active Seat Adjustable Ergonomic Standing Desk Chair
- Seville Classics Airlift 360 Sit-Stand Ergonomic Desk Stool
- Office Star Deluxe Mesh Back Drafting & Standing Desk Chair
- Learniture Active Learning Stool
- LeanRite Elite Ergonomic Standing Desk Chair
- Hylone Tall Standing Desk Stool with Adjustable Foot Ring and Flip-Up Arms
- Boss Office Ergonomic Drafting Chair with Adjustable Arms
- Varier Move Tilting Saddle Standing Desk Stool
- Flash Furniture Mid-Back Ergonomic Drafting Desk Chair
- Wobble Stool Standing Desk Balance Chair for Active Sitting
If you’re often standing while working at your desk and looking for an exceptional standing desk chair, Vari Active Seat standing wobble perch stool might be exactly what you’re looking for.
This standing desk stool features a fully articulating pedestal that lets you lean in any direction to keep your lower body engaged throughout the day. The Active Seat chair offers an upscale touch, with a durable 17-inch polypropylene seat pan that flexes to support a comfortable foam cushion. Plus, you can adjust the height of the standing desk chair up to 35″ as well as rock or stretch whenever you want.
The only drawback of this standing desk stool is that the seat is quite hard, so if you have back issues, it might hurt at the beginning.
Read more: Best standing desk converter
- Supports up to 250 pounds
- Rocking motion
- Fully-articulating pedestal
- Wide cushioned seat
- Dimensions: 15.75 x 15.75 x 26.57 inches
- Weight: 28.1 pounds
- Manufacturer: Vari
- Comes fully assembled
- Easy adjustments
- Airlift piston
- The seat is quite hard, so if you have back issues, it might hurt at the beginning
If you’re hunting for an affordable yet sturdy standing desk chair, the Seville Airlift 360 ergonomic desk stool will satisfy all your requirements.
This classic standing desk stool features a half-dome supportive cushion and a durable non-slip base. It can also wobble up to 10° off-center before bouncing back, allowing you to move and burn calories even while sitting or standing. Another benefit of this chair is that you can easily adjust it up to 28 inches with a ring airLift lever. If you’re new to using standing desk stools, this might be a perfect model to start with.
While this chair is an excellent choice, keep in mind that the upholstery material might be a bit slippery at the beginning.
Read more: Best standing desk mat
- Half-dome supportive cushion
- Circular non-slip base
- Supports up to 250 pounds
- 10-degree wobble
- Dimensions: 16.1 x 16.1 x 28 inches
- Weight: 16.1 pounds
- Manufacturer: Seville Classics
- Limited 3-year manufacturer’s warranty
- airLIFT pneumatic gas adjustment
- Breathable mesh fabric
- The cushion material is a bit slippery
If you’re searching for a standing desk with a backrest, well, you might have just stumbled upon one. The Office Star mesh back drafting and standing desk chair is a great option under $100 you’d definitely want to check out.
This standing desk chair offers a breathable screen back and a mesh seat with built-in lumbar support. And while it’s not an upscale model, this standing desk stool does its job well. You can adjust its height from 24.25 to 33.75 inches. Plus, you can also adjust the backrest according to your sitting preferences. This standing desk chair is a great starting point if you have never used these types of chairs before.
While this standing desk chair features a foot ring, it might move back if you put any weight on it after adjusting.
Read more: Best file cabinet
- Adjustable back
- Pressurized seat height adjustment
- Adjustable foot ring
- Built-in lumbar support
- Dimensions: 23 x 26 x 50.25 inches
- Weight: 31 pounds
- Manufacturer: Office Star
- Breathable screen back and mesh seat
- Heavy-duty nylon base
- Dual-wheel carpet casters
- The foot ring is only adjustable as long as you don’t put any weight on it after adjusting
If you’re looking for a standing desk chair with an unusual design, the Lerniture wobbling standing desk stool might pique your interest.
One of the highlights of this standing desk chair is its non-slip, curved base that features a wide range of motion. Plus, the backless design encourages proper posture while strengthening your core muscles. You can adjust the height of this standing desk stool up to 28 inches as well as take advantage of its wobbling, rocking, and tilting features. And it also comes in three different colors so you can choose whatever suits your interior better.
However, just like with most standing desk chairs, you might find the seat a bit hard at the beginning.
Read more: Best big and tall office chairs
- Non-slip base
- Ergonomic padded seat
- Rocking motion
- Steel gas lift center support
- Dimensions: 16 x 10 x 22.5 inches
- Adjustable seat height: 18.5”- 28”
- Manufacturer: Lerniture
- Vinyl upholstery
- Fits users from 5th grade to adults
- Lightweight design
- The seat might feel a bit firmer than you expect
If you don’t want to sacrifice comfort and are ready to spend more on a high-quality modern standing desk chair, the LeanRite elite ergonomic standing desk stool will exceed your expectations.
The LeanRite standing desk chair is more expensive than the rest of the options on this list, but it’s definitely worth it. This multi-award-winning standing chair has a sturdy construction and features an anti-fatigue mat that provides a comfy, stable work-base.
It also offers a wide variety of posture supporting positions from leaning to sitting and standing. And if you’re curious, this standing desk stool was tested and recommended by an orthopedic surgeon and Doctor of Physical Therapy.
However, since this standing chair has a pretty sophisticated construction, you might find it too bulky to move around often.
Read more: Best armless office chair
- Built-in anti-fatigue mat
- Holds up to 270 pounds
- Wide variety of posture supporting positions
- Accommodates people from 5’0” to 6’4”
- Dimensions: 30 x 18 x 46.2 inches
- Weight: 37 pounds
- Manufacturer: LeanRite
- Patented 2018 and meets corporate certification and compliance standards
- Liquid-resistant surface
- Assembles in about ten minutes
- It’s too bulky to move around easily
If you’re looking for a standing desk stool that you’d also like to use as a regular chair from time to time, the Hylone standing desk chair is your perfect match. This high-back drafting chair can bring your workday to new heights.
This tall standing desk chair offers a breathable mesh back, padded flip-up arms, and adjustable foot ring. The chair also allows you to adjust the height, seat tilt, and tilt tension.
This ergonomic standing desk chair is designed with built-in lumbar support to fit your body curve well and provide reasonable protection for your spine and waist. It’s perfect for standing desks, sit-to-stand desks, and bar tables if you ever wish to use it for that purpose.
The only challenge you might encounter with this standing desk stool is when you try to assemble it.
Read more: Best L-shaped desk
- Supports up to 285 pounds
- Flip-up arms
- Adjustable height, foot ring, seat tilt, and tilt tension
- Built-in lumbar support
- Dimensions: 25.2 x 25.2 x 52 inches
- Weight: 33.5 pounds
- Manufacturer: Hylone
- Breathable mesh back
- 1-year guaranteed warranty
- 120° rocking mode
- The assembly might be a bit challenging
Are you on the lookout for a standing desk chair with a backrest and adjustable armrests? If yes, you might not need to look around anymore. The Boss Office ergonomic drafting chair offers everything you’re searching for.
While it looks like a regular chair, it lets you adjust the seat height up to 31.5 inches and use it along with your standing desk. This comfortable standing desk chair features a contoured back and seat to help you relieve back-strain and make your workdays more pleasant.
Apart from that, this standing desk stool has a strong 20″ diameter chrome foot ring and optional glides that you can use in place of casters.
However, while the foot ring is a great feature, you might find it located too high.
Read more: Best portfolios and padfolios
- Supports up to 275 pounds
- Built-in lumbar support
- Adjustable armrests
- Contoured back and seat
- Dimensions: 25 x 25 x 49.5 inches
- Weight: 33 pounds
- Manufacturer: Boss Office
- Available in four fabric colors
- Pneumatic gas lift seat height adjustment
- Strong 20” foot ring
- The foot rail might feel too high
If you’re searching for a one-of-a-kind standing desk chair, you should consider the original tilting saddle stool designed by a Norwegian designer Per Die in 1985.
The Varier Move standing desk stool is specifically constructed to move with the body, and it also comes with a free rubber pad to provide you with more stability. This versatile sit-stand chair allows for an extended range of motion thanks to the soft edges of the seat alongside the rounded base.
Yet, you might need some time to adjust to this standing desk stool as it might be a bit too hard once you try it for the first time.
Read more: Best under-desk elliptical
- An original wobble chair
- Includes free rubber pad ($90 value)
- Supports up to 242 pounds
- Dimensions: 17.6 x 16.1 x 9.4 inches
- Weight: 15.5 pounds
- Manufacturer: Varier
- Norwegian design, manufactured in Europe
- Easy assembly
- Available in 3 colors
- The seat might feel too hard
Would you like to sit on a chair that is known for its commercial-grade quality? The Flash Furniture mid-back standing desk chair will help you take your workstation to the next level.
This mesh sit-stand chair offers a ventilated curved back with lumbar support, full-swivel seat, height-adjustable chrome foot ring, and pressure-relieving waterfall edge. You can also adjust the height of the chair up to 30 inches as well as control the tilting and rocking features.
Plus, padded flip-up arms allow you to switch between different sitting positions — no wonder why this brand is trusted for more than 20 years on the market.
While this chair offers everything possible you can think of, the only thing you might notice is that it’s not possible to adjust the height of armrests; you can only flip them up or down.
Read more: Most comfortable office chair
- Back tilt, tilt tension, and height adjustment
- Height adjustable chrome foot ring
- Built-in lumbar support
- Padded flip-up armrests
- Dimensions: 25.5 x 24.5 x 50.75 inches
- Weight: 33 pounds
- Manufacturer: Flash Furniture
- Ventilated curved back
- Pressure-relieving waterfall edge
- Contemporary style
- The armrests aren’t adjustable
If you’re a fan of affordable standing desk stools, the Uncaged Ergonomics Store has something in store for you, literally. This Wobble Stool with vinyl triangle seat allows you to rock, swivel, tilt, lean, move and even burn some calories.
Originally designed to be the best standing desk stool, Wobble Stool extends tall enough (up to 33”) to let you perch near standing height, making a move between sitting and standing fast and effortless. And thanks to its 13-inch plush padded vinyl waterfalls over the frameless seat, you can finally reach the ultimate comfort while working at your standing desk.
This standing desk chair offers great price and quality. However, some people find the gas spring quite firm, so you might need to put more pressure than you’d expect to adjust the chair’s height.
Read more: Best reclining office chairs with footrests
- Frame-less cushioned seat
- 360-degree seat swivel
- Adjustable height: 23” – 33″
- Supports up to 250 pounds
- Dimensions: 5.12 x 9.06 x 5.12 inches
- Weight: 21 pounds
- Manufacturer: Uncaged Ergonomics
- Simple 4-step assembly
- 3”+ thick custom-molded high-density foam
- Rests upright naturally
- The gas spring is very firm, so you might need to put quite a bit of pressure to adjust the height
Things to Consider When Buying a Standing Desk Chair or Stool
You probably agree with us on the fact that standing desk stools look very unusual, making it quite hard to decide which one you should go for. Here are a few things you might want to consider to make the right choice.
Does the stool have a stable non-slip base?
If you’re going to buy a standing desk stool, you want to ensure it won’t slip while you’re moving in it. Otherwise, you can end up with injuries, and we don’t want that to happen.
Does the chair have a wide seat?
The seats in standing desk chairs usually are more rigid than in regular chairs. That’s why it’s important to check whether the standing desk stool you chose has enough sitting area to make you feel comfortable.
Does it come with a rubber pad?
A rubber pad can add more stability to your standing desk stool and take your sitting experience to a whole new level. Some of the high-end standing desk chairs already come with high-quality rubber pads. If not, you might consider acquiring one.
How much weight does it support?
Unfortunately, you probably won’t have any luck finding a standing desk chair that would support 400 pounds like some heavy-duty chairs. So, if you need a chair that would hold more than 250 pounds, a standing desk stool is not your best option.
Does the chair have a foot ring?
Some of the standing desk stools come with an adjustable foot ring that you can use to either adjust the chair’s height or rest your feet when needed. If you think that’s the feature you’d want to have, then go for a standing desk chair with a foot ring.
Does the stool feature wobbling and tilting?
The whole purpose of a standing desk stool is to keep your posture safe and engage your core, letting you burn a few extra calories while sitting. If you’d like that, then you should better go for an active sitting stool.
Does it have a backrest and armrests?
If you still want to use your standing desk chair as a regular chair, being able to lean back and rest, then a drafting chair is your best bet. They’re comfortable enough to use as a standard chair and will fit nicely to your sit-to-stand desk.
Is the chair suitable for both adults and kids?
If you plan on using a standing desk chair together with your child, it’s better to choose a wobble active sitting stool. Usually, they can be adjusted to fit taller adults and shorter kids.
Do you plan on using the stool all day long?
Beware that standing desk stools aren’t meant to be used for extended periods of time. That’s why it might take you a while to get adjusted to it and feel comfortable. If you still would like to try and use it throughout your workday, you should consider one of the high-end standing desk stool models.
Benefits of a Standing Desk Chair
If you’re still hesitating, here are a few advantages of using a standing desk chair:
- It keeps your core engaged while sitting
- It helps you burn extra calories
- It lets your body move while sitting
- It enables you to maintain a better posture
- It provides you with a variety of sitting positions
- It’s a great addition to your ergonomic office setup
- It helps reduce fatigue
- It can sometimes be used as a regular chair
- It can be affordable, depending on the brand and features
- It can improve your productivity
Should I Buy a Standing Desk Stool
A standing desk stool is an excellent choice if you prefer standing when working. Standing desk chairs come in a variety of shapes, colors and have multiple features. Switching to an active sitting stool is also a great way to create an ergonomic home office environment. A standing desk stool can help you move more during the workday and keep your posture safe.
We say a standing desk chair is worth a try. But ultimately, it’s your choice.
We hope you managed to find what you were looking for. And if you have any questions or have an idea of what we should review next, please let us know.
How We Review: Our Office Chair Ratings Methodology
At Overheard on Conference Calls, we take pride in how we review office chairs. Our team of office chair experts spend hours researching and reviewing dozens of products before they even start writing their review or article. Our goal is to bring you honest and unbiased information to help you make an informed choice that will be the best for you. Our recommendations are not for sale and they are not influenced by any of the manufacturers we review.
When reviewing an office chair, there are numerous factors we analyze to determine our recommendations. Here are our four most important:
- Comfort: Comfort is key to a good office chair. It’s likely you’ll be sitting in it for hours so you’ll want something that won’t cause you aches and pains after hours of use. We gauge comfort by testing for 4+ hours as well as looking at the thickness of the seat cushion and its material.
- Durability: Not all office chairs are built the same. Our durability factor looks at the quality of the materials and how sturdy the chair is after assembly. Because we have a limited tested period, we also conduct customer research of longtime users.
- Lumbar Support: While this is an ergonomic feature, we made this its own separate rating factor because of how important it is to your overall posture, health, and comfort. We analyze each chair for its lumbar support or lack thereof.
- Ergonomic Features: In addition to lumbar support, we also look at other ergonomic features such as the armrests, height adjustment, reclining, seat ergonomics, and more. The better it is for your ergonomics and the more features/adjustability, the better.
Why isn’t price included on that list? Fair question! We do consider price in the order of our recommendations but because everyone has their own budget in mind, we won’t rule a chair in or out just because it has premium or budget price.
Our team has researched and reviewed hundreds of chairs and we’re confident in our recommendations. We strive to only recommend the best products and we periodically refresh our reviews and rankings.