We know that it might be hard to find a perfect office chair without compromising your preferences or budget. That’s why we set out on a mission to help you pick a high-quality office chair under $500 that wouldn’t sacrifice ergonomics and comfort and also meet your desired price point.
While, of course, more expensive chairs offer undeniable functionality and quality, often, they also have features that aren’t necessary or practical, which bump up their price. So in this guide, we decided to focus on chairs that will help you create an ergonomic work setup, protect your spine, and contribute to your overall comfort while still staying within your $500 budget.
Scroll down if you’re curious to discover the best office chairs under $500. And don’t worry, if you decide to lower your budget, we also have created a few lists of office chairs under $300 and $200.
The Best Office Chairs Under $500 in 2022
- Duramont Ergonomic Office Chair – Top Pick
- WorkPro® Quantum 9000 Series – Best Value
- NOUHAUS Ergo3D Ergonomic Office Chair – Best High Back Pick
- Razer Iskur Ergonomic Chair – Best Gaming Chair Under $500
- Steelcase Series 1 Work Office Chair – Premium Pick
- SIDIZ T50 Home Office Desk Chair – Best Modern Office Chair Pick
- HON Ignition 2.0 – Best Mid-Back Mesh Computer Chair
- Flash Furniture HERCULES Series – Best Big & Tall 500lb Office Chair Under $500
- Boss Office Products Heavy Duty Office Chair – Best Cushioning
- La-Z-Boy Hyland Desk Chair with AIR Technology – Best Executive Office Chair Pick
This ergonomic office chair has made an appearance on quite a few of our lists, and it also perfectly fits the requirements of the current one. Because of that, it was an obvious pick for our top office chair under $500.
Duramont mesh back chair has a simple yet very functional design. Starting from high-density foam and finishing with all sorts of adjustable features, you can customize this computer desk chair to suit your body and any other preferences. However, the most valuable aspect of this model is its ergonomic back support.
And believe it or not, this one can help you maintain good posture for less than $500. Plus, you can purchase it without worrying as the manufacturer offers a 5-year warranty and 90-day money-back guarantee.
The only thing you might find a bit annoying is that the wheels might not roll very easily on carpets.
- Holds up to 330 pounds
- Adjustable headrest height and angle
- Adjustable lumbar support height and depth
- Adjustable armrest height and distance from the seat
- Adjustable seat height, backrest tilt; and tilt tension
- Dimensions: 26 x 23.6 x 42 inches
- Weight: 41.8 pounds
- Manufacturer: Duramont
- High elastic, breathable mesh back
- 5-year warranty
- 90-day money-back guarantee
- The wheels don’t roll very easily on carpet
If you’re looking for a modern and comfortable desk chair under $500, the WorkPro Quantum mid-back office chair is an excellent option to consider. It looks very similar to one of the iconic Herman Miller chairs, but the price tag is also much more pleasant.
The two most distinct features include a
And if you’re trying to follow the sustainable design trends, you’d be happy to know that the WorkPro office chair consists of 55% total recycled content, including 55% postconsumer content, which can help reduce waste.
Just keep in mind that this chair weighs almost 60 pounds even though it looks very airy and compact.
- Supports up to 250 pounds
- Advanced lower back lumbar support
- Waterfall seat cushion
- Optimized airflow
- Customizable armrests height, tilt lock, seat depth
- Dimensions: 28 x 29.5 x 37.5 inches
- Weight: 59.7 pounds
- Manufacturer: WorkPro
- Contains 55% total recycled content
- Moden modular design
- Durable nylon frame with a steel under-core
- Quite heavy
If you looked through some other guides on our website, you’ve probably noticed this chair model a few times. And today, it proudly made it to our best office chairs under $500.
NOUHAUS Ergo3D will be a pleasant surprise for anyone hunting for a futuristic office chair with top-notch ergonomic features. With its 3D adjustable armrests and supportive lumbar system, breathable ElastoMesh, and super lounge recline, you can customize this chair according to your ergonomic preferences and ensure your body is safe and sound during long hours of sitting.
Plus, you’ll get two sets of wheels with the purchase of Ergo3D to ensure your hardwood floors are protected while you enjoy moving in your new chair when needed.
One inconvenience you might notice is that the edges of the mesh have hard parts and might cause minor discomfort.
- Supports up to 275 pounds
- 135-degree super-lounge recline
- 4D adjustable armrests
- Dynamic lumbar support
- Adjustable headrest
- Dimensions: 26.4 x 26.4 x 53.7 inches
- Weight: 46.3 pounds
- Manufacturer: NOUHAUS
- Strong 5-point aluminum base
- Comes with 2 sets of wheels
- Available in 4 colors
- Some hard parts at the edges of the mesh might cause minor discomfort
If you’re 5’6″ to 6’2″ tall and looking for a gaming office chair that would fit a $500 budget, the Razer Iskur model is one of the best options out there.
Featuring a built-in, fully adjustable lumbar support that closely aligns to your spine, this office chair ensures ideal posture for maximum comfort both in long gaming marathons and workdays. In addition, the high-density seat cushion provides good contouring, allowing your weight to apply enough pressure as it conforms and supports your unique body shape.
Plus, the 4D adjustable armrests let you find the most comfortable sitting position. Also, thanks to its classy design, the Razer Iskur chair will fit both in an office space interior and your gaming sanctuary.
However, while the seat cushion is manufactured to follow the best ergonomic practices, it might feel a bit too firm if you’re used to softer chairs.
- Holds up to 300 pounds
- Built-in, fully adjustable lumbar curve
- High-density foam cushions
- 4D armrests
- Perfect for gaming and working
- Dimensions: 26.2 x 29.35 x 53.98 inches
- Weight: 66.8 pounds
- Manufacturer: Razer Iskur
- Multi-layered PVC synthetic leather
- 2 different sizes are available
- Multifunctional design
- The seat cushion might feel too firm for some users
If you thought it was impossible to own a high-end office chair for less than $500, you were wrong. This Steelcase model has everything you dreamt of and even more. In fact, we named it as our most comfortable office chair.
The Steelcase Series 1 features an iconic LiveBack flexor system that easily conforms to your body and moves with you to support the spine as you change postures. Plus, the optional adjustable lumbar support and recline tension setting help you improve your comfort even further.
Another significant feature of this office chair is its super comfy seat cushion with built-in air pockets and flexible seat edge that hug your body and help reduce pressure points under your thighs after a long day at work. And did we mention that you can also adjust the seat depth?
While the Steelcase Series 1 is an absolutely stylish and ergonomic office chair, its armrests are pretty thin and made of hard plastic, which might be an issue for those who use them frequently.
- Supports up to 300 pounds
- LiveBack flexor system
- Fully adjustable armrests and seat depth
- Seat cushion with built-in air pockets
- Recline tension adjustment
- Dimensions: 23.75 x 27 x 41.25 inches
- Weight: 29 pounds
- Manufacturer: Steelcase
- Modern and elegant design
- High-quality mesh upholstery
- The armrests are thin and made of hard plastic
When it comes to high-quality and stylish office chairs under $500, the SIDIZ T50 has many features to boast about.
Offering a quite futuristic and sleek S-curve design, this ergonomic office chair also has an exceptional build and lets you adjust it from top to bottom. You can easily change the forward tilt, seat depth, and seat slope, as well as the armrest and the headrest as you wish to ensure nothing keeps you from staying focused, comfortable, and productive.
Plus, the advanced multi-limited tilting mechanism helps your spine feel supported and protected in different sitting positions. And another pleasant bonus is that the manufacturer offers a 30-day money-back guarantee and 3-year warranty to assure that this chair will arrive in your home and stay there for a while.
Since the chair features a multi-limited tilting mechanism, it doesn’t let you “lock” the recline in one place to reduce your back burden, which might be unusual for some users.
- S-curve design
- Adjustable seat depth and slope
- 5 different tilting angles
- Adjustable armrests and the headrest
- Easily customizable
- Dimensions: 27 x 27 x 42 inches
- Weight: 49 pounds
- Manufacturer: SIDIZ
- 30-day free trial
- 3-year warranty
- Sturdy and durable
If you’re on the market for a stylish yet reserved and ergonomic office chair, the HON Ignition 2.0 won’t disappoint you.
Featuring an advanced synchro-tilt and customizable back recline, back height, and seat positioning will support you no matter who you are, how you work, or where you prefer to work. Plus, fully adjustable armrests will give your neck and back a break while you’re spending 8 hours at your computer desk. In addition, the plush, cushioned seat will provide premium comfort for your back and legs.
And if you’re worried about “sticking” to your chair on hot summer days, the breathable 4-way stretch mesh back helps prevent that from happening. And what’s more, this chair will fit into almost any interior design and add a nice touch to your workspace.
However, if you’re shorter, this chair might not lower far enough for you.
- Supports up to 300 pounds
- 2-layered sandwich mesh cushion
- Synchro-tilt mechanism
- Adjustable lumbar support
- Height and width adjustable armrests
- Dimensions: 27.5 x 29.1 x 49 inches
- Weight: 37.2 pounds
- Manufacturer: HON
- 4-way stretch mesh seatback
- Full lifetime warranty
- Seamless design
- The height adjustment might not lower far enough for some users
If you’re looking for a high-quality big and tall office chair under $500, the Flash Furniture Hercules series chair will provide you with what you want from a perfect office chair.
Featuring multiple adjustment features combined with a body-friendly design will make this Flash Furniture model a must-have chair in your office. A thick waterfall seat edge will help remove pressure from your lower legs and improve blood circulation. Plus, the contoured backrest allows for adjusting the firmness provided to your back.
And fully-adjustable armrests can contribute to customizing your office chair to your most specific preferences. With this chair model, you can ensure your spine is aligned correctly and won’t get strained during a long workday.
Just please keep in mind if you’re on the taller side, the backrest might be too short for you to rest back fully against it.
- Supports up to 500 pounds
- Contoured backrest
- Waterfall front seat
- Flip-up armrests
- Adjustable tilt lock and tilt tension
- Dimensions: 28.5 x 31.5 x 47.5 inches
- Weight: 62 pounds
- Manufacturer: Flash Furniture
- Heavy-duty metal base
- Thick-padded cushion
- Breathable mesh back
- The backrest might be too short for some users to be able to rest back fully against it
If you’re searching for a heavy-duty executive office chair that wouldn’t cost you more than $500, the Boss Office Products has something in store for you.
Covered in Caressoft vinyl upholstery, this chair looks and feels like leather but is far more durable and can easily be cleaned with a damp cloth. And thanks to the spring-tilt mechanism, you can change the angle of the entire seat relative to the floor, which allows for transferring some of the upper body weight to the backrest of the chair.
Also, fixed padded armrests will contribute to a more ergonomic sitting position during a long workday. Finally, with a 400-pound weight capacity, you can be sure this chair can withstand a lot of pressure and serve your workspace for quite a long time.
While this executive chair is a great choice, be prepared to spend some time on its assembly.
- Supports up to 400 pounds
- Heavy-duty spring-tilt mechanism
- Fixed padded arms
- 6″ adjustable height range
- Contoured-for-support back and seat cushion
- Dimensions: 31 x 33.5 x 43 inches
- Weight: 49 pounds
- Manufacturer: Boss Office
- Caressoft vinyl upholstery
- Sleek, professional style
- 27″ 5-Star base and 3″ dual-wheel casters
- The assembly might be a bit challenging and long
If you’re a fan of La-Z-Boy sofas and couches, then you might want to consider adding their Hyland executive office chair to your collection.
Upholstered in high-quality bonded leather with elegant mahogany wood detailing, this traditional office chair will be a tasteful addition to your workspace. Contoured memory-foam cushions and flexible AIR technology will provide exceptional comfort even if you have to spend more time in your chair than usual.
And thanks to the lumbar cushions that pivot as you move, the Hyland executive chair will support your back in any position. So if you’d like to get your hands on a classy office chair that offers modern performance, this one’s for you.
However, if you’re on the shorter side, you might find this chair to be too high from the floor.
- Supports up to 250 pounds
- Flexible AIR lumbar system
- Contoured memory-foam cushions
- One-touch levers
- Adjustable height, recline, and tilt
- Dimensions: 31 x 25.75 x 44 inches
- Weight: 57.8 pounds
- Manufacturer: La-Z-Boy
- Bonded-leather upholstery
- Solid wood detailing
- Classic design
- It might be a bit too high from the floor for shorter users
Things to Consider When Buying an Office Chair Under $500
When we search for office chairs under $500, we pay attention to specific criteria. We strongly recommend you do the same if you decide to investigate more or need guidance when choosing between a few models on our list or somewhere on the internet.
What’s the weight capacity?
This is important no matter what your ideal budget is. For example, if you require an office chair that would hold up to 400 pounds, this should be one of the main features to look for. Plus, once you filter out only big and tall chairs, then you can make a choice much faster. And even if a regular chair is okay for you, we still recommend choosing one with a strong base that would serve you for a long time.
How many adjustable features does the chair have?
Firstly, decide what you want to be able to adjust in your new chair and go from there. If you don’t care about the headrest or the armrests to change position, then don’t focus on that, and what’s more, don’t overpay for something you’ll never use. Of course, the more things you can adjust, the easier it’ll be to find the perfect office setup. Remember that specific adjustable options often might add an extra hundred dollars to your purchase.
Is backrest tilt tension adjustable?
It’s recommended to change your work position throughout the day to relieve pressure from certain parts of your body. A backrest tilt can help you achieve the goal of keeping a good posture even when you tilt back and forward. This is a crucial feature for the office chairs in the $500 range.
Does the chair have high-quality lumbar support?
If you’re ready to spend up to $500 for an office chair, the first thing you should make sure this chair has is proper lumbar support. You might even be lucky enough to find an office chair with adjustable lumbar support to fit your body structure and height perfectly. This is crucial to protect your lower back, neck, and shoulders.
What is the chair’s design?
Well, this is important to figure out in advance to narrow down your options. For example, are you looking for a modern mesh back or a traditional executive office chair? Right now, there are tons of options out there, and we have even included a few different chair designs under $500 to give you a better overview and help you find your preferred one.
Are the armrests comfortable and adjustable?
This feature is helpful if you don’t have too much room and like to keep your office chair closer to the desk. Also, soft-padded adjustable armrests are a great addition if you actually use them when you work. Otherwise, it’s just a matter of your preference.
Read more about armless office chair options.
Is the seat depth adjustable?
It’s a nifty feature to have if you’re either shorter or taller than most users, as seat depth adjustability allows for finding that perfect sitting position and ergonomic setup that some chairs might not provide for your specific body composition.
Benefits of an Office Chair Under $500
If you’re searching for a few more reasons to justify spending up to $500 on an office chair, here are some of them:
- You can have a quality similar to chairs for a few thousand dollars yet without overpaying for the fancy features you mightn’t necessarily use or need
- You can choose from a variety of colors, styles, and designs to fit your interior design
- You can finally protect your back from pressure and pain during an 8-hour long workday
- If you choose your chair correctly and according to your weight, height, and other preferences, it can serve your workspace for a long time
- You can create a fully ergonomic work setup without spending a fortune
Why should I buy an office chair for under $500?
While the budget is always up to you, we strongly recommend spending up to $500 on an office chair that will make your life better. Don’t just spend this money on the first chair you see. Do your research or check ours if you don’t have time to review thousands of different options.
We know for sure that your back isn’t something to save on as improper sitting position and cheap office chair might lead to much bigger health problems in the future. So whether you work remotely or at the office, you need to do everything you can to ensure a good ergonomic chair protects your spine.
What are some essential features to look for when buying an office chair?
High-quality lumbar support is what will define how good the new chair is going to protect your back, neck, and shoulders. Next, of course, cushioning. Good chairs usually feature seat cushions that help relieve pressure from your legs and distribute the weight properly.
Does it matter how much I will spend on an office chair?
Everything depends on your expectations and how often you plan on using your new chair. For example, more expensive chairs usually offer better sturdiness, high-quality upholstery, and adjustability. So if you do work from home every day, it’s a worthwhile investment. But if you use your office chair only for a few hours per week, you might consider opting for a cheaper option. Yet, we still suggest paying attention to the chair’s ergonomic feature even if it’s not a sophisticated brand or model.
We hope you managed to find what you were looking for. And if you have any questions or have an idea of what we should review next, please let us know.
How We Review: Our Office Chair Ratings Methodology
At Overheard on Conference Calls, we take pride in how we review office chairs. Our team of office chair experts spend hours researching and reviewing dozens of products before they even start writing their review or article. Our goal is to bring you honest and unbiased information to help you make an informed choice that will be the best for you. Our recommendations are not for sale and they are not influenced by any of the manufacturers we review.
When reviewing an office chair, there are numerous factors we analyze to determine our recommendations. Here are our four most important:
- Comfort: Comfort is key to a good office chair. It’s likely you’ll be sitting in it for hours so you’ll want something that won’t cause you aches and pains after hours of use. We gauge comfort by testing for 4+ hours as well as looking at the thickness of the seat cushion and its material.
- Durability: Not all office chairs are built the same. Our durability factor looks at the quality of the materials and how sturdy the chair is after assembly. Because we have a limited tested period, we also conduct customer research of longtime users.
- Lumbar Support: While this is an ergonomic feature, we made this its own separate rating factor because of how important it is to your overall posture, health, and comfort. We analyze each chair for its lumbar support or lack thereof.
- Ergonomic Features: In addition to lumbar support, we also look at other ergonomic features such as the armrests, height adjustment, reclining, seat ergonomics, and more. The better it is for your ergonomics and the more features/adjustability, the better.
Why isn’t price included on that list? Fair question! We do consider price in the order of our recommendations but because everyone has their own budget in mind, we won’t rule a chair in or out just because it has premium or budget price.
Our team has researched and reviewed hundreds of chairs and we’re confident in our recommendations. We strive to only recommend the best products and we periodically refresh our reviews and rankings.