Working a desk job might be perfectly fine until you start experiencing back, neck, or sciatic pain. And if you’re using a regular office chair, you’ve probably noticed it’s also quite hard to maintain a good posture for 8-10 hours straight.
From standing desk converters and floating desks to reclining chairs with footrests, there is plenty of ergonomic office furniture you can find to set up your workstation. And if sitting for hours has become torture for your body, you might want to consider upgrading your office with an ergonomic kneeling chair.
Kneeling chairs stand out thanks to their unique design and multiple health benefits. They can promote correct posture and relieve back and spine stress, making your workdays much more pleasant.
A kneeling chair can significantly improve your ergonomic office setup and even help you strengthen your core. However, if you’re planning on buying a kneeling chair, be aware that it might take some time before you get adjusted to this sitting position. That’s why we recommend alternating between your standard office chair and a kneeling chair for the most comfort.
We’ve reviewed the nine best ergonomic kneeling chairs to help you choose the most optimal model for your needs and boost your productivity.
The Best Kneeling Chairs
- DR.LOMILOMI Ergonomic Kneeling Chair
- Varier Variable Balans Original Kneeling Chair Designed by Peter Opsvik
- DRAGONN by VIVO Ergonomic Kneeling Chair
- Defy Desk Ergonomic Home Office Kneeling Chair
- VIVOHOME Adjustable Ergonomic Kneeling Chair
- Office Star Ergonomically Designed Knee Chair With Casters
- CHADIOR Ergonomic Kneeling Stool for Home Office
- CINIUS Professional Ergonomic Wooden Height-Adjustable Kneeling Chair
- ProErgo Pneumatic Ergonomic Kneeling Chair
If you’ve decided to give a kneeling chair a try to see its benefits for yourself, DR.LOMILOMI’s ergonomic kneeling chair might be the one for you.
This kneeling chair model features an extra-wide and thick padded seat and kneeling cushion to increase your everyday comfort while working from home or office. The chair is upholstered in abrasion-resistant vinyl leather to let you enjoy your new purchase for a long time. Plus, you can adjust the seat for a perfect sitting height in a few seconds, thanks to the top-class hydraulic system.
However, please note that you can only adjust the height up to 27 inches. So, if you’re super tall, this chair might not work for you.
- Holds up to 350 pounds
- The seat height can be adjusted in 2 seconds
- Wheels with brakes
- Available in 9 colors
- Dimensions: 31 x 23 x 12 inches
- Weight: 22 pounds
- Manufacturer: DR. LOMILOMI
- Extra-wide and thick padded seat
- Amazon’s choice in France, Germany, Spain, UK, Italy, Japan
- 1-Year Limited Warranty
- The hydraulic lift doesn’t pump up very high
If you want to spend your workdays on an office chair that’s a classic and a joy to use, then Varier original ergonomic kneeling chair will be your top choice.
This home office chair will provide you with an exceptional sitting experience, though it might take you some time to get used to it. Together with the tilted seat, the gently curved wood ensures that the Variable Balans kneeling chair follows your body’s natural movement.
Needless to say, it’s one of the most elegant kneeling chairs on the market. Plus, it comes in nine different colors. Honestly, it’d take me quite a bit of time to choose the right color because I love them all.
- Holds up to 240 pounds
- The only original kneeling chair designed by Peter Opsvik in 1979
- Made out of strong and flexible wood
- Suitable for both children and adults
- Amazon’s choice in France, Germany, Spain, UK, Italy, Japan
- Dimensions: 28.8 x 21.3 x 4.1 inches
- Weight: 14.15 pounds
- Manufacturer: Varier
- Includes FREE soft tape ($50 value) for floor protection
- Norwegian design
- Lightweight and portable
- Little rocking motion
- Fairly brutal shin cushions in terms of upholstery abrasiveness and hotness
Are you looking to buy a kneeling chair for your home, office, classroom, or anywhere you need that little extra support? The DRAGONN kneeling adjustable stool will help you take your workspace to the next level.
Thanks to a mesh three-inch-thick cushion, this ergonomic kneeling chair will ensure your knees, shins, and behind have proper support. You can adjust this chair’s height from 21 to 31 inches to find the most comfortable position for your body. The DRAGONN (by VIVO) kneeling chair also features four wheels, two of which you can easily lock to avoid rolling.
While this ergonomic chair is an excellent find in terms of both price and quality, be prepared to spend some time assembling it properly.
- Features 4 casters
- Supports up to 250 lbs.
- Adjustable height (from 21″ to 31″)
- Front locking wheels
- Dimensions: 26 x 21.5 x 16.75 inches
- Weight: 18.92 pounds
- Manufacturer: DRAGONN
- Modern design
- 2X more cushion
- Angled at a comfortable 90 degree
- The assembly might be a bit finicky due to poorly written instructions
If you’re tired of constant neck and back pain due to spending endless hours in front of your computer, you’ll find sitting on the Defy Desk ergonomic kneeling chair quite a life-changing experience.
This kneeling chair has everything you’d want to feel comfy during your workday. It lets you adjust the height from 21 to 28 inches to accommodate your physique. Plus, it features very thick cushioning to protect your bum and knees. And of course, its stylish all-black design will fit perfectly into your office interior.
Ensure you have a proper office desk before you opt for a kneeling chair, as it might be hard to find the best position. Yet, this seller offers a 100% money-back guarantee, so you can easily return it if it’s not a good fit for you.
- Supports up to 250 pounds
- 4 castor rolling wheels with brakes
- Height adjustment from 21 to 28 inches
- 100% money-back guarantee
- Dimensions: 27 x 19 x 8 inches
- Weight: 19 pounds
- Manufacturer: Defy Desk
- 3-inch cushions
- Heavy-duty and sturdy construction
- Fits both adults and kids
- You need to have a proper size table to use this chair
If you have never used a kneeling chair before but want to give it a try, the VIVOHOME ergonomic kneeling chair is a great starting point. It’s affordable and sturdy. What else can you ask for?
The VIVOHOME kneeling chair is constructed with a heavy-duty iron frame and can support up to 350 pounds of weight. Plus, it features 4-inch thick cushions wrapped in quality PU leather to ensure the ultimate comfort throughout your workday. And like some of the other models on this list, it has four wheels and can be adjusted from 21” to 28”.
The only drawback is that this kneeling chair might be too small for taller people. Otherwise, it’s an excellent choice if you’re not ready to spend a few hundred dollars on a chair.
- Supports up to 330 pounds
- Ergonomic design
- 2 locking wheels
- Adjustable Height: 21-28 inches
- Dimensions: 27 x 19 x 9 inches
- Weight: 18.51 pounds
- Manufacturer: VIVOHOME
- Easy to assemble
- 4″ Thick memory foam cushion
- Might be too small for taller people
If you’re devoted to 5-star base chairs but wouldn’t mind trying something new, the Office Star ergonomic kneeling chair is your perfect candidate.
While looking almost like a regular office chair, this one might be much better for your posture and overall comfort. The Office Star knee chair features a black metal frame and five star base with dual wheel carpet casters to make the transition from a traditional chair much smoother. Plus, a thick padded seat and knee pad ensure your body isn’t struggling while you’re working on your daily tasks.
However, if you’re taller than 5’8”, this chair might feel a bit small for you. So, you might want to look at the other options on this list before making a final decision.
- 5 wheelbase
- Holds up to 200 pounds
- Strong and durable construction
- Unique design
- Adjustable height
- Dimensions: 22.25 x 17 x 22.5 inches
- Weight: 20 Pounds
- Manufacturer: Office Star
- Memory foam pads
- Affordable price
- Might not be a good fit for people taller than 5’8”
If you’re searching for a heavy-duty kneeling chair under $100, the CHADIOR ergonomic kneeling stool will be your go-to choice. This chair supports up to 300 pounds, so you won’t be able to break it, at least easily.
For such a pleasant price, you’ll get quite a few cool features. Firstly, this ergonomic chair is upholstered in durable and stain-resistant PU leather, which will add a nice touch to your home office interior. Secondly, the seat pad and knee rests are filled with thick foam to provide you a comfortable sitting experience. And finally, you can adjust the height of this kneeling stool from 22 to 28 inches, depending on your height and preferences.
Yet, just like many other kneeling chairs, this one might not be the best fit for very tall people. That’s why I’d suggest trying it out before buying if your colleagues or friends already bought it.
- Holds up to 300 pounds
- Adjustable height (from 22 to 28 inches)
- 2 Locking wheels
- Extra soft thick foam padding
- Dimensions: 27.2 x 19.2 x 7.09 inches
- Weight: 14.47 pounds
- Manufacturer: CHADIOR
- Steel construction
- Fast and easy to assemble
- Therapeutic design
- Might not be suitable for tall people
If you want to switch to a kneeling chair but aren’t ready to give up the backrest of a regular office chair, well, you’ve just found a perfect match for your requirements.
The Cinius ergonomic wooden kneeling chair has a backrest, which features a locking and unlocking mechanism to help you feel the most comfortable while working. Plus, the adjustable tilt allows you for both seat angle and height adjustment. It can help you avoid back and sciatic issues in the future. And by the way, it’s the only model with a backrest on this list.
The only drawback is that you cannot really adjust the knee rest. And if you’re taller than 6’5″, the manufacturer suggests using the felt pads included instead of the wheels to lower the chair’s height.
- Holds up to 200 pounds
- Made out of rubberwood
- Features a backrest
- Adjustable tilt and height
- Dimensions: 33.86 x 18.31 x 6.69 inches
- Weight: 17.6 pounds
- Manufacturer: Cinius
- Non-deformable padding
- Resistant fabric covering
- Easy to assemble
- The knee rest cannot be adjusted
Here’s another fully-adjustable kneeling chair that won’t disappoint your expectations. The ProErgo features a new pneumatic pump for increased height flexibility, so you can customize it to your perfect comfort level.
Designed with a strong metal base, this ergonomic kneeling chair will last you quite a while if you don’t manage to break it in some mysterious way. While you’re working hard, breathable three-inch fabric cushions will ensure your knees and shins are in good hands. Plus, you can adjust the height from 19.5 to 25.5 inches.
And again, if you’re on a taller side, the knee pad area might feel too short for you.
- Pneumatic pump for increased height flexibility
- Holds up to 250 pounds
- Breathable three-inch fabric cushions
- Adjustable height (from 19.5 to 25.5 inches)
- Dimensions: 19 x 27 x 7 inches
- Weight: 17 pounds
- Manufacturer: Stand Steady
- Simple set-up design
- Quick assembly (5-10 min)
- Easy-rolling wheels
- The knee pad area might feel too short for some people
Things to Consider Before Buying a Kneeling Chair
Most kneeling chairs have very similar designs and specifications. Thus, it might be quite an ordeal to decide which one will work best for you. Here are a few things you should consider before upgrading your home office with an ergonomic kneeling chair.
Is the chair’s height adjustable?
If you’re not tall, this shouldn’t really be a concern for you. However, if you have long legs, you should definitely go for an adjustable kneeling chair. Otherwise, you’re probably going to end up feeling stuck and uncomfortable in your new kneeling stool.
Does it have a rocking feature?
If you want to move in your chair by rocking back and forward, a wooden kneeling chair will be your best option. Just keep in mind that usually, these models aren’t height-adjustable.
Does it have a backrest?
Most ergonomic kneeling chairs don’t have a backrest as it defeats their concept. However, if you’re not ready to give up leaning back, have a specific medical condition, or plan on using it for most of the time while working, you can still find a few models with a backrest.
Does it have a single or a double knee pad?
If you tend to change your sitting posture often, choose a kneeling chair with a single knee pad, as it’ll give you the ability to keep your things at different angles. The double knee pad will always keep your hips open at an optimal angle. So, your choice will mostly depend on your preferences.
Does it have breaks on the wheels?
If you like the idea of an x-framed chair with wheels the most, make sure you opt for one that features breaks. Otherwise, it can be pretty annoying if your chair keeps on rolling all the time. Some kneeling chairs have breaks on all four castor wheels, and some only on the front ones.
How thick is the cushioning?
Ideally, you’d want to choose an ergonomic kneeling chair with a thick padded seat and knee pad. It’ll help you protect your knees and shins and prevent discomfort.
Do you suffer from chronic knee pain?
If your knees are in bad shape and you experience constant knee pain, a kneeling chair won’t be a good fit for you as it’ll put much more pressure on your knees than a standard office chair.
Is it easy to assemble?
Most kneeling chairs don’t require a hard assembly process. However, if you aren’t a fan of putting furniture together, make sure the kneeling stool you chose comes with clear and easy instructions.
How much weight can it support?
Kneeling chairs mostly support up to 250 pounds. Yet, there are a few models out there that can hold up to 350 pounds. If you require a super sturdy kneeling chair, make sure you check this specification before making the payment.
Benefits of an Ergonomic Kneeling Chair
Still not convinced? Here are a few significant benefits of owning a kneeling chair you might want to learn more about:
- It can help improve your posture when working at the desk
- It can help alleviate back, neck, and sciatic pain
- It can prevent you from slouching and sitting in a c-shape position
- It can help you build core strength
- You can alternate it with your regular office chair
- Most models are suitable for both adults and kids
- It can help boost your productivity
- It can improve your day-to-day work experience
Should You Try a Kneeling Chair?
A kneeling chair provides a completely different sitting experience than a standard office chair. If you want to improve your posture and reduce back and neck pain, an ergonomic kneeling chair can be a life-changing purchase for you.
However, since a kneeling chair requires your body to switch to a very different position, it might not be a perfect option for everybody. So, be ready to give yourself some time to get used to it.
The best practice is to alternate between your regular office chair and a kneeling chair throughout the workday. It’ll make the transition to a kneeling chair much smoother and provide you with various sitting positions to choose from.
We hope you managed to find what you were looking for. And if you have any questions or have an idea of what we should review next, please let us know.
How We Review: Our Office Chair Ratings Methodology
At Overheard on Conference Calls, we take pride in how we review office chairs. Our team of office chair experts spend hours researching and reviewing dozens of products before they even start writing their review or article. Our goal is to bring you honest and unbiased information to help you make an informed choice that will be the best for you. Our recommendations are not for sale and they are not influenced by any of the manufacturers we review.
When reviewing an office chair, there are numerous factors we analyze to determine our recommendations. Here are our four most important:
- Comfort: Comfort is key to a good office chair. It’s likely you’ll be sitting in it for hours so you’ll want something that won’t cause you aches and pains after hours of use. We gauge comfort by testing for 4+ hours as well as looking at the thickness of the seat cushion and its material.
- Durability: Not all office chairs are built the same. Our durability factor looks at the quality of the materials and how sturdy the chair is after assembly. Because we have a limited tested period, we also conduct customer research of longtime users.
- Lumbar Support: While this is an ergonomic feature, we made this its own separate rating factor because of how important it is to your overall posture, health, and comfort. We analyze each chair for its lumbar support or lack thereof.
- Ergonomic Features: In addition to lumbar support, we also look at other ergonomic features such as the armrests, height adjustment, reclining, seat ergonomics, and more. The better it is for your ergonomics and the more features/adjustability, the better.
Why isn’t price included on that list? Fair question! We do consider price in the order of our recommendations but because everyone has their own budget in mind, we won’t rule a chair in or out just because it has premium or budget price.
Our team has researched and reviewed hundreds of chairs and we’re confident in our recommendations. We strive to only recommend the best products and we periodically refresh our reviews and rankings.