We are supported by our readers. We may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you if you buy through a link on this page. Learn more.
Whether you’re working at the office, at home, working remotely, or playing computer games, your sitting posture matters. That’s why having an ergonomically-designed high back desk chair is essential for anyone who spends eight hours (or even more) in front of the computer every day.
With the vast amount of options out there, it can be hard to choose the one that would meet all your expectations. So, I have selected the six best high back office chairs you should consider when shopping for a new computer chair for your office or home.
Learn more about my top picks below.
The Best High Back Office Chairs
Let’s start this list off with our favorite high back office chair. Here’s the Ticova ergonomic office chair. We’ve already named it our top choice for best office chair under $300 and we think it’s the best high back as well.
From headrest height and angle to lumbar support height and depth, you can adjust almost everything in this chair. A thickened backrest pillow will keep your back in a comfy position and prevent fatigue. Also, a double-curved headrest will let you have a good rest if needed.
The seat is made of thick and durable shaping foam that will let you feel cozy in it for years. You can also forget about sweating while sitting in this chair. Breathable mesh material will save you from that uncomfortable feeling. So, if you’re looking for something simple but ergonomically-designed, this chair is your winner.
- Fully adjustable
- Ergonomic headrest and backrest
- Strong PA nylon back frame
- Breathable mesh material
- 3 inches high-density shaping foam
- Package Dimensions: 27.5 x 24.5 x 13 inches
- Weight: 40 lbs
- Brand Name: Ticova
- Manufacturer Part Number: M8
- Holds up to 280 lbs
- Full support for your neck and back
- No sweat sitting experience
- 90 days money-back guarantee
- Armrests aren’t padded
Classy, yet stylish, this executive office chair will be one of the best additions to your office. Although it’s quite expensive in comparison to the desk chairs mentioned above, this leather chair is worth every penny.
Thanks to the adjustable pneumatic height mechanism and 360-degree swivel, you will feel so comfy that you might not even notice you’re at work and not on your favorite sofa. Sounds tempting? I bet it does.
This chair supports your whole body to ensure you’re not ruining your health while spending hours on it. Whether you plan to use it in the office or at home, you won’t regret your choice.
Read more: Best pink office chairs
- Bonded leather upholstery
- Adjustable pneumatic height mechanism
- 5-point base with hooded caster wheels and 360-degree swivel
- High-backed style with padded armrests and full-body support
- Dimensions: 31.1 x 29.5 x 45.5 inches
- Item weight: 58 pounds
- Manufacturer: AmazonBasics
- Model: HLC-2362
- Holds up to 500 pounds
- Comfortable ergonomic design
- Spacious padded seat cushion
- Quick and easy to adjust
- Smooth leather exterior
- Quite expensive
- Heavier than other models
Here’s another executive high back office chair that can make your day-to-day work life much more comfortable. Featuring a cushioned back and a seat upholstered in black bonded leather, this piece of classic furniture will emphasize your interior design even more.
Thanks to the ergonomic design, the chair supports your back and arms, leaving you feeling rested at the end of the day. Plus, its noiseless rollers will save your flooring from scratches. Furmax high back desk chair is fully adjustable, so put all worries aside.
If you care about your health and like feeling cozy while working, this chair is a perfect fit for you.
Read more: Best big and tall office chairs
- Upholstered in black bonded leather
- Padded seat and back
- Fully adjustable height with 360-degree swivel rotation
- Noiseless wheels
- 20 degree back tilt
- Dimensions:20.9″(W) X 20.1″(D) X 45.2″-48.4″(H)
- Adjustable Height:17.3″-20.5″
- Weight: 38.3 lbs
- Max Weight :300 lbs
- Manufacturer: Furmax
- Ergonomic design
- Lumbar support
- Leather upholstery
- Padded cushions
- Easy to assemble
- The chair might start squeaking with time
Rumor has it that every person needs eight hugs per day to feel happy. Unfortunately, when you work all day long, it’s much harder to get your daily dose of happiness. That’s when a Nouhaus rolling desk chair comes in. Thanks to the 3D adjustable armrest and lumbar system, this office chair will hug your back whenever you’re sitting in it.
Whether you plan to use this chair for working or playing video games, it will support your body no matter what. Plus, its breathable ElastoMesh material will provide optimal airflow to prevent sweating and sticking. And in case you’re worried about your hardwood floors, you’ll get a free set of smooth roller blade wheels.
Featuring a super-lounge 135-degree tilt, this ergonomic office chair will become one of your favorite purchases. Unlike some other chairs, it will never make you feel like sitting on a bench. So, don’t hesitate and take advantage of a free 30-day trial.
Read more: Best office chairs for short people
- Extra Strong 5 Point Iron Base
- Super-Lounge Tilt
- Available in 4 different colors
- 2D adjustable headset
- 3D adjustable armrests
- 3D lumbar support
- Package Dimensions: 32 x 26.5 x 15.5 inches
- Item weight: 51 lbs
- Manufacturer: Nouhaus, Inc.
- Item Model: Ergo3D
- Holds up to 265 pounds
- Contemporary design
- Free set of wheels for hardwood
- Available in 4 different colors
- Requires quite a lot of strength to assemble
Welcome another executive leather chair to the list. OFM’s high back desk chair is a great budget option if you’re looking for something presentable, yet won’t break the bank.
With its integrated lumbar cushion, headrest, and padded arms, you will be experiencing a luxurious feel every time you use this chair. Plus, innovative ergonomic design will let you forget about the back pain, or at least ease it while spending 8 hours sitting.
A 360-degree swivel will make you happy on a moody day and bring some fun into your work life. Apart from that, the OFM Limited Lifetime Warranty will make sure you’re fully satisfied with your purchase.
P.S. — In case you decide to use this chair instead of a car and run away, its casters are rated to roll for over 40 miles.
Read more: The best floating wall-mounted desks
- Made of breathable SofThread leather
- 360-degree swivel
- Durable center-tilt mechanism
- Lumbar cushion
- Padded armrests and headrest
- Dimensions: 29 x 28 x 44.8 inches
- Weight: 42.5 lbs
- Manufacturer: OFM
- Item model: ESS-6060
- Holds up to 250 lbs
- Segmented padding
- Cradling back support
- Lifetime warranty
- Might be too short for tall people
- Faux leather
This high-back desk chair is another good option for someone tired of sitting uncomfortably and wants to find something minimalistic. Thanks to its ergonomic design, this Hbada office chair fully supports your spine and makes you feel cozy while working or playing games (no worries, I won’t tell anyone;)
An ergonomic mesh back keeps aways the buildup of heat and humidity, so you won’t even notice you’ve been sitting in it for 8 hours. Also, this chair has a very comfy wide seat giving you a little bit more freedom of movement than some of the other chairs I’ve described.
Thanks to its durable steel base, this chair will be your true friend for quite a long time. It will also give a fresh look to your office or home. Plus, you can lock it at any angle between 90 – 150 degrees and have a quick nap. Just make sure it’s not your boss who wakes you up from it.
- Ergonomic-Human-Curve design
- Comfy mesh back
- Heavy-duty steel base
- 2 modes: Work & Rest
- SGS certificated gas lift cylinder and tilt mechanism
- Chair size: 26.8″ x 26.8″ x 45.7″ x 50.4″
- Weight; 34.5 lbs
- Manufacturer: Hbada
- Item model: HDNY115BM
- Holds up to 225 lbs
- Big, adjustable seat
- 1-year worry-free warranty
- Minimalist style
- Can release lower back pain
- The headrest might be getting loose with time
Things to Consider When Buying an Ergonomic High Back Desk Chair:
- Is it fully-adjustable? You want to ensure it’s easy to modify it according to your body structure.
- Does it have an ergonomic backrest, headrest, and armrests? You want to be able to protect yourself from lower back pain.
- Is it made of breathable material? You don’t want to sweat and stick to your chair while working.
- Does it have a comfortable seat cushion and padded armrests? You don’t want to feel like sitting on the floor for eight hours, so make sure your chair as comfortable as possible.
- Does it have a reclining function? If you like to take quick power naps, you’d want a chair that can serve as a bed if needed.
- Does it have quality and smooth rollerblade wheels? An important feature if you don’t want to ruin your flooring (mainly hardwood.)
- Does it have a warranty or free trial? Ensure you can return your chair with no extra hassle in case it doesn’t fit you well.
High Back Desk Chairs are the best solution for office workers, remote workers, or gamers. That’s why an ergonomically designed chair is vital for both your comfort and health. Some of the high back office chairs can even serve you as a bed in times when a quick power nap is inevitable. These are my top picks. Let me know what you think!
How We Review: Our Office Chair Ratings Methodology
At Overheard on Conference Calls, we take pride in how we review office chairs. Our team of office chair experts spend hours researching and reviewing dozens of products before they even start writing their review or article. Our goal is to bring you honest and unbiased information to help you make an informed choice that will be the best for you. Our recommendations are not for sale and they are not influenced by any of the manufacturers we review.
When reviewing an office chair, there are numerous factors we analyze to determine our recommendations. Here are our four most important:
- Comfort: Comfort is key to a good office chair. It’s likely you’ll be sitting in it for hours so you’ll want something that won’t cause you aches and pains after hours of use. We gauge comfort by testing for 4+ hours as well as looking at the thickness of the seat cushion and its material.
- Durability: Not all office chairs are built the same. Our durability factor looks at the quality of the materials and how sturdy the chair is after assembly. Because we have a limited tested period, we also conduct customer research of longtime users.
- Lumbar Support: While this is an ergonomic feature, we made this its own separate rating factor because of how important it is to your overall posture, health, and comfort. We analyze each chair for its lumbar support or lack thereof.
- Ergonomic Features: In addition to lumbar support, we also look at other ergonomic features such as the armrests, height adjustment, reclining, seat ergonomics, and more. The better it is for your ergonomics and the more features/adjustability, the better.
Why isn’t price included on that list? Fair question! We do consider price in the order of our recommendations but because everyone has their own budget in mind, we won’t rule a chair in or out just because it has premium or budget price.
Our team has researched and reviewed hundreds of chairs and we’re confident in our recommendations. We strive to only recommend the best products and we periodically refresh our reviews and rankings.